Friday, 11 May 2012

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

From Goodreads : I have two weeks. You'll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That's what you do to enemy agents. It's what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmf├╝hrer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I'm going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : The author has accomplished something that few YA writers today are able to: she has successfully blended the timeless horrific memories of Second World War into a brilliant tale of true friendship.

On a mission in France, when their plane crashed young pilot Verity was captured by Gestapo while her co pilot and best friend Maddy was assumed to be dead. Both physically and mentally tortured, Verity was living the worst nightmare of an enemy agent any other wouldn’t dare to dream. Weeks after weeks, tortured and broken Verity finally agrees to write down her confessions on a paper and told story of her friendship with Maddy.

The book was written in dairy format and the whole situations with World War II as a back drop reminded me of Dairy of a young girl. I’m whole heartedly impressed how the author brought up the situations of Nazi camp and each terrible moment Verity lived.

The story was told from Verity’s perspective but often switched into third person narration centering her friendship with Maddy. I absolutely loved how the author portrayed her characters; both Verity and Maddy seem to leap off the pages. While serving in Women’s Auxiliary Air Force, Verity and Maddy became best friends and soon their friendship turned into sisterly bond. As a splendid actress and expert in German and French, Verity was perfect agent for any mission while Maddy was an excellent pilot and navigator. Both were strong, confident and determine young women. I enjoyed the moments they shared together, both their fears and joys.

Under extreme pressure in prison, Verity was forced to write down her testimony and her writing served as evidence of facts that we are given in this novel. Mourning with grief of Maddy death, Verity felt she is somehow betraying her loyalty and friendship also struggled with remorse. With her situations became worst so as my heart beat.

My only objection was there was bit too much talk of technical stuffs and coding techniques related to aircraft that was out of my reach. But considering that a minor, the book was a classic and downright heart wrenching.


An ARC was provided to me in exchange for honest review


View all my reviews


4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good read!
    Thanks for the review! I'll be sure to add it to my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greatb review! I'm readng this really soon and i think i'll enjoy it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, Code name verity is pretty different from other historical fiction and i hope you guys will enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story had me from the beginning, I think because the experience detailed is so different than WWII stories told from the point of view of US citizens. WWII stories are not unique in US culture, I think the theme of WWII is likely one of the most favorite themes for fiction, non-fiction, memoirs and movies in the US. We Americans love this time period and love to be entertained by the memory of this war. But our experience was so different than that of the Europeans who lived with the constant bombing and threat day in and day out -- so I found that aspect of it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete