Monday, 13 August 2012

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

Goodreads Summary : A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : 2011-12 has been a year of dystopian novels, I cannot remember how much I have read among them, but I certainly remember those who have made a special place in my heart. And I proudly say The Forsaken is one those very few dystopian which has actually gotten my attention from the very first moment, and it has hold me captive till the very last page.

The Forsaken a fast and beautifully paced gripping novel which has kept me awaken fro nights, because I couldn’t leave the book. Lisa Stasse is one of the most talented and brilliant author, and I can’t help but admiring her and her story weaving style.

United Northern Allegiance, a futuristic version of USA, Mexico and Canada, where every citizens are required to take Government Personality Profile Test before they cross eighteen, a test using which UNA detect the future criminals or unanchored souls and sends them to a prison island called Alpha, a solitary place far for civilization where no kids survives before they reach eighteen. When Alenna Shawcross took the test and wakes up in island Alpha, she thought there must have been some mistake in her test. Desperate to escape the island she was force to fight for her survival in the wild with bunch of other kids, she realize none of them are insane, they all are victim of a sinister scam and plotting. Only Liam, a blue eyed boy is her only hope of salvation.

I love it, seriously I love the book. The world building is just brilliant and well plotted. The Wheel is divided into sectors, those who saved Alenna are resident of blue sector, and all other sectors are under possession of powerful Monk and his drones. Only Grey sector is the heart of all mystery and different from any other part of The Wheel, there lies all information or maybe a way out of The Wheel. When I started the book, I was immediately thrust into the violent wild, and I envisioned their every movement. The book has some breathtaking actions that will keep you on your toes, each and every time I screamed out in fear and excitement because probability of uncertainty were extremely high, and It was hard to guess, where the book will take a turn.

The characters were strong, each one of them, and I guess they had to be. All of them were fighter, and Alenna adapted their skill, as soon as she became one of them. She made an impression on me; I really liked her change from the beginning to the end. Liam had a good effect on me and I swooned on him, although he is protagonist but somehow his character was invisible, like his presence has not much impact on the story. Somehow I was expecting to see more Liam action in the story. The romance was not enough to satisfy my cravings, it was kind of cliché and rushed.

Overlooking the minor flaws, The Forsaken is absolutely enjoying and fast paced novel. Throughout the whole story, I kept wondering what will happen next. The author solved each mystery one by one and each answer left me open mouthed. The Forsaken is a must read for dystopian lovers, especially fan of The Hunger Games.




View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty wary of dystopians by now. Out of all the books on my shelves, they dominate in number. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Forsaken! It has a pretty cover that I'll be glad to put on my shelf.

    However, I didn't like the Hunger Games THAT much, so we'll see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hope that you will enjoy the forsaken

      Delete
  2. I have to be in the mood for a dystopian, but sometimes you get one that's not so great. Thanks for the review. Gives me a good idea of what to put on my list of books to read.

    Follow my blog:
    www.kindlebooklove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.. I think this one is going on my TBR shelf. I really like the cover too. It's so different from what a lot of the YA trend has been lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the cover is very different for any other we have recently seen

      Delete