Saturday, 19 January 2013

Through to You by Emily Hainsworth

Goodreads Summary : Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. Viv was the last good thing in his life: helping him rebuild his identity after a career-ending football injury, picking up the pieces when his home life shattered, and healing his pain long after the meds wore off. And now, he'd give anything for one more glimpse of her. But when Cam makes a visit to the site of Viv's deadly car accident, he sees some kind of apparition. And it isn't Viv.

The apparition's name is Nina, and she's not a ghost. She's a girl from a parallel world, and in this world, Viv is still alive. Cam can't believe his wildest dreams have come true. All he can focus on is getting his girlfriend back, no matter the cost. But things are different in this other world: Viv and Cam have both made very different choices, things between them have changed in unexpected ways, and Viv isn't the same girl he remembers. Nina is keeping some dangerous secrets, too, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with who this Viv has become and the part Nina played in his parallel story, he's forced to choose—stay with Viv or let her go—before the window closes between them once and for all


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : I always have a special place in heart for emotional stories of grief and death. A story about how hard it is to accept death of the one you love and moving on like a mechanical being. Carrying guilt for something inevitable, grief stricken Cam can't forgive himself for Viv's death.
But what if in a parallel world, Viv's death never happened and Cam is the one who died. With appearance of strange and mysterious Nina, from a parallel world led Cam to discover the doorway between two worlds where another version of Viv still lives. But altering fate can have many dangerous consequences.

Cam was shown as a bereaved person, mourning for his girlfriend's death, and thus unable to let go of her memories. His character was slowly reveal as readers get more glimpse of his broken heart and his way of dealing with such deep emotions. Somehow it was easy for me to relate Cam, because he seemed very real to me with his unhealed scars running deep. His decision to be with other Viv was momentary outcome of his sorrow as he thought he found his lost love, but eventually he realized this version of Viv might not be the same girl he fell in love with.

Amongst the other characters, I adored Nina, as I considered her to be the female lead. She was the best friend of dead Cam in the other world, also was dealing with his death. In spite of her own grief and family problems, she acted more like Cam's guardian angel to guide him to the truth. She was mature for a seventeen years old, and understanding. Her compassion and companionship really grew onto me, I can't deny my respect for her character.

As for Viv, she mostly made appearance in Cam's memory and her other version showed up during Cam's crossroads between two worlds. towards end of the story, Viv's character raised a thoughtful question of everything may not what it seems to be.

The story was very original, unpredictable and prominent. The overflowing emotions of loss and sorrow was beautifully portrayed in the story, however in the very beginning things were overdone a bit too melodramatic to slow the pace and progress of the story, also there was lack of character development.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I have a special spot for these kind of stories, too. This sounds beautiful, and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this one before. It seemed kinda creepy to me, so I don't think I added it to my TBR. I do like emotional stories about grief and death though, so I think I might pick this one up. Since you liked it so much, I will definitely check it out now. As usual, a stupendous review by Soumi!

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete