Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood

Goodreads Summary : Iris Dancy’s free-spirited mum has left for Tunisia, her dad’s rarely sober and her brother’s determined to fight anyone with a pair of fists.

When a family of travellers move into the overgrown paddock overnight, her dad looks set to finally lose it. Gypsies are parasites he says, but Iris is intrigued. As her dad plans to evict the travelling family, Iris makes friends with their teenage son. Trick Deran is a bare knuckle boxer who says he’s done with fighting, but is he telling the truth?

When tools go missing from the shed, the travellers are the first suspects. Iris’s brother, Sam, warns her to stay away from Trick; he’s dangerous, but Iris can no longer blindly follow her brother’s advice. He’s got secrets of his own, and she’s not sure he can be trusted himself.

Infinite Sky is a family story about betrayal and loyalty, and love


My Rating : 4 of 5 stars


My Thoughts : An exceptionally good coming of age story of a thirteen years old girl Iris, which broke my heart and mended it at the same time.
The book was told from POV of Iris, narrating in a voice which was pretty unusual yet believing. It felt like I saw her world through her eyes.

Living in a broken family and dealing with her own teenage problems was pretty hard for Iris, until a new gypsy family moved to her father's land and she quickly developed a friendship with their boy Trick Deran. Her father told her to stay away from those parasite gypsies, her brother warned her about Trick. Trick said, he was done with bare knuckle boxing, but is he? How can she trust her own brother who was hiding a secret of his own.

The book began to capture my interest as the story progresses. The pace was a slow though but later it picked up. I found Infinite Sky extremely touching and heart warming. It was a story about family and friendship, teaches the value of very relationship and person we are lucky to have in our life. A story of first love that blooms like a rose amidst of thrones and it smells divine that pulls us in an unexplained way. A story of death that is something unpredictable and unavoidable, but in the end we learn to move on, accompanied by only the memories the person behind. I sat speechless even long after I finished reading.

I liked how the author played with her characters, and made them look like real, as if they had been plucked from real life placed inside the story. Iris, who emotions were just like a girl verge of her teenage, somehow immature, somehow innocent.

The book was something,I have been looking for a long time, something that would make me cry and tremble in sadness and overwhelming emotion. I loved it, loved and loved it.



View all my reviews


1 comment:

  1. Woah! This book sounds fresh and unique! I'm excited to read it! Thanks for spreading the word about it and for the good review. Informational and entertaining. Maybe change the font on your reviews. I don't know, I kind of feel like it makes the mood less professional and believable.

    Marie @ Marie's Bookworm Blog
    http://www.mariesbookwormblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete