Friday, 8 March 2013

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Goodreads Summary : Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.

Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.

Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.

In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love


My Rating : 4.5 of 5 stars



My Thoughts : “I waited for you."
"But it's a race. Why did you wait for me?"
"I always wait for you. I'm always waiting for you.”


Tragedy in wasteland of unfathomable pain, hopeless love is a divine whine. I found this book is just as tortuously magical. A beautiful second instalment that kept the consistency of the series. It was tragic and hopeful in same line, with a grand tour to Everneath and fighting off zombie like creatures with brains. I like books of any genre but when it comes to Geek mythology, its insanely irresistible for me. The moment I finished Everneath I felt a hidden scorch in my skin to read Everbound and this one year of waiting was simply as tortures as can get.

Jack has sacrificed himself to save Nikki. Now it a guilt ridden Nikki wants to bring the love of her life at any cost. But her only ticket to Everneath is Cole the bad boy who is sole responsible for all the trouble Nikki faced. So they embark a journey to Everneath, deterring all the obstacles in their way. But nothing comes with a price….isn’t it? Just like Orpheus paid by his life, for Eurydice

I loved Nikki in this book. The determination placed up to hide the feeling of loss and guilt, the swilling passion in depth of her heart and above all he dedication. She knew she was taking advantage of Cole’s love for her, using his connection to Everneath. Still her dedication to Jack just left me awed.

Cole always tried to be the bad guy. He kept convincing Nikki that he was no hero, but in the end he helped her, know it might endanger his own existence. I liked how his character has been portrayed, complex yet sympathetic. But also, there were portions of his minds in depth of danger that were off limits to anyone, even to Nikki. Yet, with all his flaws, I loved Cole.

Jack, dude, do i know ya? I have nothing much to say about Jack. His character was overshadowed by Cole. Only that he was holding on Nikki’s love, the only hope of his survival. However he mostly appeared in Nikki’s flashbacks and dreams. There not much Jack in this sequel but I hope to see him in action soon.

Everbound was written in a very clear language and in such a touching way. Every chapter was equally exciting. The ending was not a cliff-hanger like the first book, it was rather a comedy than a tragedy.
The series is not you usual re-imagining of Persephone and Hades myths, it's much more different and original.

Overall, if you have already read Everbound, you’ll be changed for a crime if you don’t read Everbound. And if you haven’t yet read Everneath, you must hurry to buy it. Trust me the series is worth reading.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I just gifted Everneath to a friend for Christmas, so I guess I'll have to get a copy for myself and read it! I like how your reviews are longer. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. overall I very much agree with your assessment of the book..... what i'm interested is now in Evertrue i'd definitely want to see how Nikki brings her promise at the twisted ending of the book to fruition in the final book....

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete