Thursday, 23 May 2013

Exclusive Interview with Imogen Howson , author of Linked


Me : Welcome Imogen to my blog Pages From My Thoughts.

Imogen : Hi, and thank you for having me!

Me : What was you inspiration behind Linked? Would you like to tell us a little bit about your upcoming novel Linked?

Imogen : Linked was inspired by a magazine article I read, about twins who experienced a telepathic link—one of them felt when the other was in trouble. The working title for Linked was Telepathic Twins in Space, which I think sums it up pretty well! Basically, the heroine, Elissa, experiences weird visions, which turn out to be produced by her telepathic link with the twin she never knew she had, and she ends up having to help her twin, Lin, escape from the people who have kept her imprisoned.

Me : What is the most difficult thing about writing a novel? What inspired you in writing?

Imogen : The most difficult thing is sitting down every day to produce a new scene out of nowhere! It’s very inspiring, though, to focus on how, hopefully, my books can give as much pleasure to people as other authors’ books have given me.

Me : How did you overcome writer’s block?

Imogen : Writer’s block can happen for all sorts of reasons, so overcoming it really depends on why it’s happening. If I’m feeling stuck, I usually take my laptop and go and work somewhere outside my house. It’s surprising how helpful it is to be able to sit and drink coffee that I didn’t have to make myself, and to know it’s not my job to wash up the cup afterwards.


Me : As we know Elisa and Lin, the two main characters from Linked look alike, so what makes them different from each other?

Imogen : Lin has not only grown up in an institution, but she’s grown up being told she’s not even human. This has created one of the main differences between her and Elissa, that Lin has almost no natural empathy, no fellow-feeling for other people. This ends up causing real problems for Elissa as she tries to get to know her twin!

Me : What are your favourite YA books?

Imogen : Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, and Little Women by L.M. Alcott.

Me : Other than writing, what do you enjoy most?

Imogen : Reading! Also running in the countryside around my house, watching teen movies, and drinking wine with friends.

Me : Any tips for the aspiring authors?

Imogen : Read a lot. Pay attention to what you like reading, what works for you (even if other people don’t like it or say it’s a bad story or bad writing), and then write the book you want to read but that you haven’t found yet.

Me : Thank you Imogen, for you time and consideration. It was such an honour to have you over my blog.

Imogen : Thank you so much for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment