Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Cracked (Soul Eater #1) by Eliza Crewe


Goodreads Summary : Ever since my mom was murdered, I’ve been completely alone. I live in the shadows, because there’s no one like me. I have no choice because I have to fight the Hunger, the Hunger that drives me to hunt people and eat their souls. And I have to fight it if I want to stay out of the darkness.

Who am I?
I’m Meda Melange.
What am I?
I don’t know—but I’m not human.
And now, I finally have the chance to find out.

In this first book of the gripping Soul Eater trilogy, find out who Meda is and which side she will come down on in a thrilling tale of the war between good and evil.

My Rating : 3.5 of 5 stars

My Thoughts : This is not a story for children or for fainthearted folks. This is a story about a girl who is YA version of Dexter, who enjoys ripping bad guys limb to limb (pretty gruesomely) and then writes message on wall with blood of her victims. Our half-demon heroine is embodiment of evil, epitome of ultimate killing machine.

Normal people have a hard enough time staying good. How could someone who's already half-evil pull it off?

The story follows the journey of a unrepentant, manipulative soul though a dark tunnel towards the light. Cracked wasn't your so-call mainstream book based on the old theme of good versus evil, rather about the fine line between good and evil dwelling within us, about how every second of every day we are battling our own demons. The book has successfully delivered that one simple message.

The book is narrated by Meda in first person and liking the book entirely depends on whether you like her or not. Meda was ungovernably violent without qualm of conscience. Her voice of narration was witty and dark, and what underlay her snarky humor, was moral questions that made me go all philosophical.

Craked, I think, has a pretty cool concept. From soul eating demons to crusaders to Templers. Though I liked it to an extent, it just didn't had the right materials to be for me. Meda's aggressiveness and constant sarcasm was bit too rough of my taste, but I’m sure there are many readers who will enjoyed it much more than I did. Not that I don’t like bad ass killing machines, I truly do. I’m fan of anti-heroines and one of my favorites is Anna. But here, Meda pushed beyond the line of extremity at points.

Nonetheless Cracked surprised me to a greater degree. Full of nonstop cinematic actions, the book was entertaining no doubt, but bored me at times. The story was inconsistent at first, just some motley assortment of scenes that had been glued together and you’re left wondering what driving force instigated them. Around the halfway, the story hauled itself up to maturity, romance was included and so was tragedy. From here Meda's story got interesting enough to make me flipping though the pages.

Crewe is, no doubt, an excellent author. She damn well knows how to stay within one‘s view point, and explores others. Meda was exactly what the author wanted her to be and like her, the other characters in the book (Jo, Chi and Uri) were also well constructed, adding more color and dimension to the story. Different from each other in personality but as a team, those four characters were indomitable.

If the small holes can be ignored, the whole package is fantastic. Recommended for the fans of Anna Dressed in Blood and for those to whom blood is quite fascinating.

A review copy was provided to me by Penguin India in exchange for a honest review.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God!!! I so want an Unhinged ARC!!!

    ReplyDelete